Marxism and academia

Jonathan Beasley Murray jbmurray at csd.uwm.edu
Wed Aug 17 22:38:47 MDT 1994

I am appending the information text which attempts to describe the
purpose of this list.  It is not in any sense set in stone--and I would
be very interested in ideas as to how it might be improved or altered.
However, at present the list is envisaged mainly as a fairly academic
discussion of the discourses generated by the work of Marx (and Engels).
Given that, it seems unfair to criticize those participating in the list
for doing what the list was designed to enable them to do.  The fact that
they may do other things elsewhere ("praxis") is not unimportant, but is
not necessarily the direct concern of the list, as I see it.

It seems a matter of pragmatics (if not indeed economics) that most of
those on the list are academics, or at least associated with an
institution of higher education--we/they get our internet accounts for
free.  It would seem self-defeating to "ban" academics, even if this were
desirable.

Incidentally, it should also be clear from the text attached that this
list constitutes a discussion of marxism not a discussion by marxists.

Which is not to say that the relation between theory and "practice" (of
whatever kind) is not an important issue, or has not been on this
list--though it has been so more obviously recently.  However, it would
seem clear that an email list is more suited to discussion that to any
other activity.

Meanwhile, I fear that Louis has mischaracterized the nature of the
discussion on the list--or maybe he has only been subscribed for a short
while; the "Western Marxism" he described has surely not even been the
focus of discussion, let alone the sole topic.

Anyhow, I don't have time to say more right now.  However, I thought it
important to place the discussion of "m,arxism and academica" back into
this particular discursive context.

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray
Department of English and Comp. Lit.
U. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
jbmurray at csd.uwm.edu

send the message: subscribe marxism
to: majordomo at world.std.com.

Subscription is automatic unless you use an address that the majordomo
software does not recognize or are already subscribed at another address,
in which case the request will be forwarded to the list-owner for
approval, which may take a few days.

To unsubscribe,
send the message: unsubscribe marxism
to: majordomo at world.std.com

Unsubscriptions are also automatic unless you send your request from a
different e-mail address from the one at which you are subscribed.  Those
requests will also go to the list-owner for approval.

To get a list of the MARXISM members,
send the message: who marxism
to majordomo at world.std.com

The MARXISM list has been conceived as a place to explore the field of
textual and political production generated by the work of Karl Marx (and
Friedrich Engels).

Clearly, this field encompasses a diversity of differing traditions and
figures, from Lenin and Luxemburg to Williams and West; the complete A to Z
from Althusser to Zizek, one might say.  It is not the intention of the
moderators of this list that any particular tradition or orthodoxy should
receive more attention or more "allegiance" on this list than any other.
Indeed, the moderators see little particular benefit in calling themselves
"Marxists" and scarcely require participants in the list's discussion
necessarily to identify themselves as "Marxists" either.

Rather, the list should be a forum for open engagement and enquiry with all
aspects of these Marxist traditions--and we hope that this will be an
interdisciplinary engagement, bringing together historians, economists,
sociologists, artists, literary critics, philosophers and so on.
Furthermore, while it is anticipated that the list will be primarily
"academic" in nature, this is by no means meant to devalue or prevent
contributions from activists or others outside the formal educational
system.

List discussion may range from exegetical discussion of particular texts
to creative appropriations of the texts across a variety of disciplines.
One purpose of the list is to conduct "group readings" of particular
works or passages from Marx and/or others in the Marxist tradition.  At
times, the list may seem quite focused on such readings, but they tend
to disseminate in a wide variety of interesting and unpredictable ways.
Also, MARXISM is always open for comments, inquiries and texts on any
subject related to Marx and/or Marxism.  Those engaged in research will
find the list members a valuable source of feedback and bibliographical
suggestions.

MARXISM is an "unmoderated" list in the sense that all posts to marxism@
world.std.com are forwarded to the whole list without being reviewed or
approved by anyone.  MARXISM is also something of an electronic
community, which is self-governing and self-policing.  Ordinary respect
and courtesy towards other list members is expected, and flame wars are,
of course, discouraged.  Recognizing, however, that disputation is the norm
in politics, threads will not be interupted simply because the tone grows
heated, as it sometimes does.  Yet openness and toleration of difference are
to be valued above dogmatism (of whatever stripe).

Each list member is asked to help make the list work by being an active
participant--posting when you have something to contribute and letting
the rest of the list know when something happens on the list that concerns
you and that you would like the rest of the list to consider.

MARXISM is brought to you by the Spoon Collective, a group of Net
citizens devoted to free and open discussion of philosophical issues on
the Internet.  Based on the Collective's philosophy, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT
POSTS CONTAINING LANGUAGE OR DEALING WITH SUBJECT MATTER THAT SOME MIGHT
FIND OFFENSIVE MAY APPEAR ON THE LIST FROM TIME TO TIME, AND SUCH POSTS
WILL NOT BE CENSORED. For that reason, if you are not interested in
receiving such posts, please do not subscribe.  If you are already
subscribed, please unsubscribe.

Please address any questions, comments, or concerns that are not
appropriate for the list as a whole to any or all of the list
moderators:
Flannon Jackson (fjackson at diana.cair.du.edu),
Jon Beasley-Murray (jbmurray at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
or Seamus Malone (ReDionysus at aol.com).