Normativity and stats (was Marxism and academia)

wesley david cecil wcecil at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 18 15:41:37 MDT 1994

Quite right and thanks Andy, my point was that any attempt to arrive at
"real world" statistics involves us in all the old epistemological(and
therefore I would argue ontological) swamps. Not that we shouldn't try
and not that it is not  useful, after all this would seem to me what Marx
was up to, but that trying to argue for real world stats vs. academic
musings simply obscures all of the academic musings underwriting all of
our nice stats.
Wes