marxism archive: please READ

Jonathan Beasley Murray jbmurray at csd.uwm.edu
Sat Aug 20 11:12:48 MDT 1994

The marxism archive is on the road!

But first please read this:

**Just to add a co-moderate note to some recent discussions--I don't
want to have to archive too many "testy," "rude," "insulting" or similar
messages.  While I think that those who have been snapping at each other
can mostly take care of themselves, one of the qualities that both
academia and left-wing political groups tend to share is their
intimidatory nature, especially to new-comers.  It would be good if we
could try to make the list as un-hostile place as possible.**

Anyhow, that was a brief digression from the main topic of the archive,
so here goes:

So far it's relatively untested, however, so if you have any problems
*please* get in touch with me.

The archive is located somewhere in Texas on a machine called Deleuze
(don't ask).

So far the first two weeks' posts have been put on it--I'm working on the
rest.

To get at them, type "ftp deleuze.uta.edu"
It will ask you for a login id and password; type "deleuze" for both.
Type "cd /marxism/1994"

Then type "ls" which should give you the list of the files that are on
the archive.  At the moment these are "marxism_12Jul.94" and
"marxism_19Jul.94"  Each of these contains one week's worth of posts,
with the headers stripped to reduce unnecessary information.

To receive one of these type "get filename"

then type "quit"

And this should do it.

Jon Beasley-Murray
(supposedly) Literature Program