science and technology

donna jones djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 20 06:40:04 MDT 1994

Stephen's response to my posting veered off into directions which I could
have scarcely predicted.  Let me repeat I was wondering if anyone wanted to
take up the question of the effect of the development of science and
technology upon the value-determined capitalist production process.  The
Schumpeterian Marxist argument--a term I am making up here-- has been that
the development of the science and technology will militate against a rise
in the organic composition of capital, raise the rate of surplus value, and
increase overall surplus value by bringing new workers in to produce new
commodities.  In this theory of capital accumulation, the system cannot
falter in the long run from a shortage of surplus value.  This argument is
the opposite of Grossmann's, William J Blake's, Mattick's, Rosdolosky's,
Cogoy's, Yaffe's,Week's and Carchedi's.  I can think of no more important
debate in the Marxist theory of capital accumulation and crisis. As this is
the marxist line--and marx emphasized time and time again the centrality of
surplus value, a rising organic composition, and the law of the tendency of
the rate of profit to fall to his theory--I was hoping someone may want to
talk about whether capitalistically endogenous technical change destroys
(or even modifies) Marx's abstract theory of accumulation, crisis and
revolution.

 Does anyone want to comment?
d jones