"Objectivism"

Stephen Grossman SGROSSMAN at umassd.edu
Mon Aug 22 12:50:11 MDT 1994

Date: Sun, 21 Aug 1994 23:23:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alex Trotter <uburoi at panix.com>
Subject: "Objectivism"

>The only person I can think of who was as gung ho for objective
>epistemology as Ayn Rand was...V.I. Lenin.

Traditional objectivity (from Plato, Aristotle): ideas in reality revealed to
passive mind.

Marx, being a Kantian, basically held that ideas were subjective to active
mind  whose activity distorted reality. Marx simply modified Kantian
subjectivity with economics (as Nazis did with race).

Rand's radical objectivity: ideas are reality as volitionally and logically
processed by active mind whose activity is method of knowing reality.

>Leninism and Libertarianism--as different as Coke and Pepsi.

As similar as two sodas: both reject reason as absolute.

>Oppose one ideology with another? Why bother? Hang all ideologies!

Ideology is human cognitive need of survival. Even Marx knew this.