Reading and marxist-feminism

Jonathan P. Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Tue Aug 30 15:10:11 MDT 1994

Well, things have become a little quiet over the last couple of days.  I
suspect that's because (for that academic majority, at least) semesters
are starting etc.

If not, or even if this is the case, and means just a temporary lull, I
thought I'd raise once more the possibility of attempting a (semi)
organized reading over the list.  Some weeks ago many suggestions were
made with little consensus.  I'll go back and rake over those
suggestions, and if anyone wants to make any more, please do so via
private email to me.  Then at least we may come down to a shortlist, and
we can see how many people are interested in such an activity.

Further point: over on the women's studies list there has been some
discussion of marxist feminism.  This has not been a topic here so far,
and I do kind of wonder why that should be.

To put this in the form of a question, how do those who have been
following the debate on value think that such analyses contribute to
understanding women's oppression?  Or blacks'... or gays'...?  It seems
to me that there has been relatively little attempt since the 70s to
undertake a systematic analysis of connections between these different
movements (and now theories), and thus now solidarity is invoked ("race,
class, gender") rather than theorized.

I realize I am generalizing again, however.

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray
Literature Program
Duke University