Birmingham Sch. and first instance

Jonathan P. Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:27:34 MST 1994

On Tue, 6 Dec 1994, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm puzzled by this first instance/last instance thing. How long has it
> been since economic determinism reigned on the left, Marxian and
> non-Marxian? The Marxian left has been wandering about in cultural
> studies for the last 15 years at least, and has been notably absent in
> economic debates. Bring back PE from the dead, I say!

I'm puzzled by this message.  I think both first and last instance are
intended as ways to avoid economic determinism, but to rethink the role
of the economic.  The marxian left in cultural studies tends (I think) to
have more and more studiously avoided any reference to the economic.

so....?

And in answer to Philip Goldstein, I'm not sure exactly what Hall does with
this idea, which is why I'd love it if someone could give a fuller citation.

> Doug

Take care

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray