Marx vs.Stirner

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Fri Dec 30 11:07:26 MST 1994

>Hegel, in my opinion, decided on duty in the conflict of duty
>versus inclination; Stirner decided on the latter,

And for Marx it was neither.

>and for me is the only way out of the totalitarian (in both
>senses of this word) Weltanschauung.

And what is the way out of liberalism?  Or has that already been
decided by the exhaustion of liberalism?

>I think that the idea of the historical inevitability of the
>proletarian uprising is crucial here.

I don't see how the following conclusion follows from this
statement.

>It really is going to take that impossible "change of heart"
>that Marx thought he had obviated.

You are setting up a dichotomy between 'change of heart' and
historical conditions that doesn't exist for Marx.  Maybe you've
read too much Stalinist and Maoist crap.

>Ideas have a force outside of economic determinations.

Do ideas have a force outside of social determination as a whole?
Marx's world-view is not limited to a narrow economism.

>The ideal in Marx's formulation is directly derived from
>Feuerbach in that the "revolutionary" individual should aspire
>to a condition of cooperation in production and consumption.

I don't see this "should" at all in Marx.

>This amounts to a moral injunction at odds with Marx's
>determinist science of materialism.

Again, I think your interpretation is dualistic in a way that I
don't see Marx being, not in 1845-6.