radical feminism or rationalization?

Andrew Hagen hagena at mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu
Fri Nov 11 11:29:10 MST 1994

On Fri, 11 Nov 1994 tgs at cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu wrote:

> I submit that "radical" feminism is a rationalization and legitimation
> strategy for the conscious expression of inter-gender hostility by women overtly
> toward men. [....]
>  While it is often stated that women are incapable of irrational
> hostility toward men (see Katha Pollitt's excellent essay in THE NATION a
> year ago or so, "Are Women Morally Superior to Men?: Difference Feminism is
> In.  Whatever happened to equality"). this is clearly false, on the argument's
> own grounds.

This was a particularly good Nation piece. But it's point was merely that
estrogen-politics will not save the world, not that the big problem of
today is feminists over-stepping their bounds.

Perhaps some "feminists" such as Deborah Tannen ("You just don't
Understand") are subtractive of the progressive movement to some extent,
but is that the real question? Not really. The real question is what can
we do to stop rape, stop sexism, resist right-wing backlash, and find the
sexism in our own lives and end it.

__
Andrew Hagen                              hagena at mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu