dual systems (to Justin from Tom)

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters quilty at philos.umass.edu
Fri Nov 11 16:22:05 MST 1994

Someone or another wrote:
   AGAIN, FORGIVE THE CAPS, BUT THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I KNOW HOW TO
   INDICATE WHAT'S MINE AND NOT YOURS.

Sorry to go off on Netiquette, but the caps are extremely
distressing to readers who have learned to experience them as
shouting.  It's bad form to use such caps, except AT MOST for a word
or two emphasis.

If you wish to quote, the most accepted style is to indent the
quoted material with a special character, most often a '>'.  As in:

  I wrote moments ago:
  > Sorry to go off on Netiquette, but the caps are extremely
  > distressing to readers who have learned to experience the a
  > shouting.  It's bad form to use such caps, except AT MOST for a word
  > or two emphasis.

Other characters may be used, including an abreviation of earlier
poster's name:

  Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters (LLE) wrote:
  LLE> Sorry to go off on Netiquette, but the caps are extremely
  LLE> distressing to readers who have learned to experience the a
  LLE> shouting.  It's bad form to use such caps, except AT MOST for a word
  LLE> or two emphasis.

More elaborate schemes are possible.  But please DON'T SHOUT.

Yours, Lulu...

quilty@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/_/ v i
philos. _/_/                    Postmodern Enterprises           _/_/  s r
umass. _/_/  MAKERS OF CHAOS....                                _/_/   i u
edu   _/_/_/_/_/ LOOK FOR IT IN A NEIGHBORHOOD NEAR YOU_/_/_/_/_/_/    g s