Schwartz on Feminism

tgs at cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu tgs at cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu
Sat Nov 12 06:46:40 MST 1994

<TO JUSTIN, FROM TOM>

<You said:>

I wonder how many men, even on this list, are in silent sympathy with Tom.
I do not understand; I lack the basic empathy to grasp, how men on the
left can find women's equality, much less liberation, so threatening. And
to think I started out this thread agreeing with him on something! I think
it was that you can't presume men are individually sexist because of their
gender. I still think that's true.

--Justin

<Justin, I still think that's true, too.  I really don't get it.  Have you
tried me and found me guilty in absentia?  What have I said to indicate in
any way that I find "women's equality, much less liberation, so threatening."?!>

<It is YOU, Justin, who hold some pretty curious, I think rather patronizing,
notions that the "aggression" (your own term) of radical feminists, the
aggresive statement that "you can't presume men are individually sexist
because of their gender." (again, your words), ought to be
tolerated as another means of " liberation.">

<  How noble of you, in the
cause of civil liberties, to stand up for me initially when I stand up to
this "aggression."  But how "chivalrous" of you to back down and agree with
Rebecca when she slanders me as a sexist for the very same self-assertion.>

<It is my turn to be very disheartened>

Tom