Steve's post on Chaos (from Tom)

Steve.Keen at unsw.EDU.AU Steve.Keen at unsw.EDU.AU
Sun Nov 13 22:08:38 MST 1994

Thankyou for the clarifications re chaos, Lulu (I think I did note
Poincare's 1899 work in an earlier post). For another piece of
"fractal history" that establishes that it's more than molecular,
Mandlebrot--whose fame came when he started working in geometry,
showing chaotic patterns in algebraic sets (of which the Mandlebrot
plot is the most famous)--actually began as an economist analysing
financial time series. He couldn't get economists to listen to his
claim that financial time series (and hence underlying economic
processes) were chaotic, so he gave up on economists and switched
to maths--where he got a far more receptive audience.
Cheers,
Steve Keen