More about that relativ

Chris Connery chris_connery at macmail.ucsc.edu
Tue Oct 4 11:10:23 MDT 1994

        Reply to:   RE>>More about that relativ

When I agreed with Paul Cockshott, I said "academics as a group," or social
formation,  which may have been his sense as well.  No one would say that
about individual academics, which is what Phil Goldstein's list is.   I teach
with Angela Davis (one of the people on PG's list), and she:  1. still has to
pass students even if they are confirmed blood-sucking parasitic enemies of
the people; 2. would probably say that her work with prisoners and the prison
system is, compared with her teaching anyway, where her more important
political work is getting done.
A few people have asked for the source of the Cult Stud quote.  Later-- (I
got it from overseas and have to make sure first that it's in the "public
domain")

Ch_____
Date: 10/4/94 7:09 AM
From: marxism at world.std.com
All the people listed had/have audiences well beyond the academy. How
many modern academics do, or even aspire to do?

Doug

Doug Henwood [dhenwood at panix.com]
Left Business Observer
212-874-4020 (voice)