Back in the USSR

eugeneh eugeneh at HUMANITIES1.COHUMS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Tue Oct 4 15:57:50 MDT 1994

Someone (again, my system excludes identifying headers) asked:

Where does Marx say that communism will arise by evolutionary
rather than revolutionary means?

In an 1872 speech in Amsterdam (subsequently published throughout Europe), Marx
insisted that

"we have not asserted that the ways to achieve that goal [i.e. to "seize
political power... overthrow the old politics which sustain the old
institutions...] are everywhere the same.  You know that the institutions,
mores, and traditions of various countries must be taken into consideration, and
we do not deny that there are countries -- such as America, England, and if I
were more familiar with your institutions, I would perhaps also add Holland --
where the workers can attain their goal by peacefule means."

There may be other places Marx said this, but (for whatever it is worth) say it
he did.

Gene Holland