More about that relativ

Malcolm.MacLean at vuw.ac.nz Malcolm.MacLean at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Oct 5 16:29:31 MDT 1994

 Here academics are not truly radical because they
>fail to cultivate a radical or progressive public, fail to take
>sufficiently radical political stances as a group, or fail to work for
>sufficiently nasty and oppressive bosses. I could argue that in the
>social sciences and the humanities there are radical caucuses which meet
>some of these criteria, but I am not sure that these are good criteria.

>Philip Goldstein

I agree Philip, my pedagogical construction of the role of the radical
academic is very limited precisely because it does not cultivate a public -
but relies on those who make it into the institution.  In that sense it is
very limited!  The key issue you identify here is the radicalism of
academics *as a group* - and you are right, while there are only a few of
us scattered around the place using our pedagogical and research skills to
subvert, we aren't getting far.  I too, like to see academics whose
research provides a radical critique and posits directions for radical
action.  Sadly, there aren't many of us around.  A useful bit of reading in
this regard is Keith Robbins _Secular Vocations_, published a couple of
years ago by Verso.

Malcolm MacLean
malcolm.maclean at vuw.ac.nz

Everyone talks of freedom, but there are few that act for freedom, and the
actors for freedom are oppressed by the talkers.
                                                 Gerard Winstanley