universities

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 8 12:56:28 MDT 1994

On Fri, 7 Oct 1994, wesley david cecil wrote:

[cut]
> the university described by Kant, see conflict of the Faculties).  Not to
> mention that the
> proletariat can educate themselves and be educated a lot of ways, they do
> not need the University for education, which is good because universities
> do not generally admit members of the proletariat, particularly in this
> country.  I am not saying people never transcend then class origins, I am
> just saying that no more people in the university transcend there class
> origins than anywhere else, nor should we expect them to.  The
> University is just as messed up, in short, as the rest of society and
> people in the University have no more nor no less responsibility for
> social activism or radical action as anyone else.  Why single the
> University out for criticism?

I think we hold the university to a higher standard, probably
undeservedly so, than other social institutions, because it is supposed
to be about the pursuit of truth, not about discovering fresh apologies
for privilege and power. Of course most academics spend more time
discovering and re-discovering apologies than critiques, but it's still
disappointing in a way that the work of, say, bond traders isn't.

And I must dissent from the "particularly in this country," assuming
you're speaking about the U.S. I thought the U.S. had a larger portion of
its population in universities than most other countries. We could do a
lot better for sure, but....

Doug

Doug Henwood [dhenwood at panix.com]
Left Business Observer