universities

wesley david cecil wcecil at ucs.indiana.edu
Sat Oct 8 23:15:12 MDT 1994

On Sat, 8 Oct 1994, Doug Henwood wrote:
> I think we hold the university to a higher standard, probably
> undeservedly so, than other social institutions, because it is supposed
> to be about the pursuit of truth, not about discovering fresh apologies
> for privilege and power. Of course most academics spend more time
> discovering and re-discovering apologies than critiques, but it's still
> disappointing in a way that the work of, say, bond traders isn't.
>
> And I must dissent from the "particularly in this country," assuming
> you're speaking about the U.S. I thought the U.S. had a larger portion of
> its population in universities than most other countries. We could do a
> lot better for sure, but....
>
> Doug
>
> Doug Henwood [dhenwood at panix.com]
> Left Business Observer
> 212-874-4020 (voice)
> 212-874-3137 (fax)

Right, my main point is that certainly the University is less than an
ideal model of social activism, but no less so than anywhere else.
As far as the U.S. having a larger portion of its population in University
I believe that is correct, but I would be interested to see what
percentage of our graduates are not the middle or upper class versus the
percentage in other systems.  My impression is that we send a lot more of
the middle class through universities and a lot more total people, but
that other countries, particularly SOuth American Universities, have a
greater percentage of their small university population from the poor.

Wes