Wilhelm Reich

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters quilty at philos.umass.edu
Thu Oct 13 21:00:20 MDT 1994

| I know that many people on this list are fond of the academic theories
| deriving from structuralism, Althusser, Lacan, etc. These figures
| attempted a synthesis on some level of Marxism and psychoanalysis. But as
| far as that goes, there is another figure who worked very intensely on
| that task but whose name is not often mentioned anymore, it seems. That
| figure is Wilhelm Reich.

As far as Freud/Marx syntheses, obviously the whole Frankfurt School
is in part about this.  I think the syntheses of Adorno, Horkheimer,
and Marcuse are probably more subtle than Reich's.  Fromm gets
thrown in as a freebie here.  But they all did a kind of synthesis
of the 'Hegelian Marx' with Freud, rather than putting the
'Structuralist Marx' mix.

Yours, Lulu...

quilty@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/_/_/  v i
philos. _/_/                      Postmodern Enterprises             _/_/   s r
umass. _/_/  MAKERS OF CHAOS....                                    _/_/    i u
edu   _/_/_/_/_/_/ LOOK FOR IT IN A NEIGHBORHOOD NEAR YOU_/_/_/_/_/_/_/     g s