marxism

Sam D Fassbinder sfassbin at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 14 10:58:51 MDT 1994

1) My error in misquoting Stephen Grossman to Philip Goldstein.  I apologize.

2) Academic commodification really is a problem.  The academic bourgeoisie
have made the word "Marx" their own, for the sake of looking hip -- a recent
HARPER'S cites Marx as the most often-cited author in the humanities.  Now
don't tell me that ALL of those people are Marxists!  There are other
examples of this problem: a) for instance, a friend of mine who was accepted
here at Ohio State, that bastion of career academics, claims that she refused
a TAship at the University of Georgia because the university would have made
her sign a contract stipulating that everything she wrote was the
intellectual property of the University. b) even then, your own ideas are the
intellectual property of your adviser, whether it's legal or not.  Suppose
you are a graduate student and your adviser takes an idea you used in a
paper, publishes it as his/her own, and denies you credit.  What are you
going to do, sue? (***laughter***) You have to make a name for yourself if
you want to advance.

3) I really hate to see Marxists pretend they live outside of the influences
of capital.  Being in a university is a job, like any other job under
capitalism, and within the university one experiences the alienation of one's
labor.  Beyond that I really haven't a thoroughly-sketched theory of the
place of the university within capitalism.