marxism

John R. Tegtmeier tegtmeie at panix.com
Wed Sep 14 15:28:48 MDT 1994

I am really interested in knowing whether you see this problem of
intellectual properity and alienation as one of capitalism or the
organizational culture of the university.  It would seem that all the
critiques that you make are just as applicable to any socio-economic
system.  Certainly, ideas and concepts developed by students are
appropriated by dishonest faculty advisors for the purpose of their own
advancement in any system.

In regards to the use of Marx in the social sciences, I seriously doubt
that one needs to be a marxist to recognize the contribution of Marx to
the development of several important concepts, and that being the case,
it is appropriate to review his work.  It is disingenious to imply
anything further, and it is certainly logically unsound.

Regards,
John Tegtmeier