marxism

Sam D Fassbinder sfassbin at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 14 22:10:47 MDT 1994

>Now don't tell me that ALL of those people are Marxists!

Why not? Or, given the dominant Pragmatist opposition to system, they value
an
intellectual chaos of ideas. Stalin knew how to deal with running dog
revisionists like these! As Lenin said, "Better fewer, but better."

My response: most of them are interested in quoting Marx, in my opinion, to
theoretically buttress paper topics, dissertations etc. (especially in the
humanities and to a certain extent in the social sciences too) in order to
get ahead in the academic system, because the declining value of a degree on
the job market gives people the idea that to get a valuable degree they must
get more degrees.  I am criticizing such pragmatist marxism for its
irrelevance, not its "revisionism."  It's not as if in this period of history
I can object to anyone being "petit-bourgeois" when I myself am
"petit-bourgeois" (and have admitted it in a previous post).  Get real!