Labor theory of value debate

Stephen Grossman SGROSSMAN at umassd.edu
Thu Sep 15 13:04:48 MDT 1994

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 10:12:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Louis N Proyect <lnp3 at columbia.edu>
Subject: Labor theory of value debate

>The zig-
>zags of the Soviet state in the early 1920's (war communism, NEP)
>had more to do with pragmatic choices rather than Marxist doctrine.

Your pragmatic/Marxist doctrine split is false. Within the structure of
dialectical revolutionary strategy, Marxists are encouraged to Pragmatically
exploit historical splits. See my essay, _Zig-Zag_ (recently posted here; i
have copy i can email). Your own Pragmatism blinds you to Marx's system. Marx,
Stalin, Mao, and _International Affairs_ (Moscow) have condemned Pragmatism
(tho usually without using that term).

Lenin's "'Left-wing' Communism" shows his use of doctrine to advance the
revolution. There are many essays like this on revolutionary strategy.

>I believe that the Marxist movement has suffered from its inability to
>understand how capitalism operates to the fullest degree.

Of course, given Marx's rejection of abstraction in economic activity.
Capitalism is abstraction-guided production.