Positive side to anti-LTV case

donna jones djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 16 17:17:49 MDT 1994

     ------------------

 From Steve's last posting (I shall skip here his discussion of the mixed
economy)

 it's impossible to predict what
>will eventuate after any sort of cataclysmic change in such a
>system. Revolution is obviously a cataclysmic change in a social
>system, and there is no guarantee--as history has shown us--that
>what will evolve after such a change bears any semblance to the
>reasons that change was undertaken. I thus see revolution as an
>inherently dangerous route to social re-organisation.

I am just finishing a wonderful book by Frank Furedi, Mythical Past,
Elusive Future. In one of the most satisfying books which I have read in a
long time Furedi very eloquently discusses  Steve's skepticism (which as
Furedi notes is shared by both the Right and the "left") towards the
capacity of people to act collectively and rationally--at a social
level--towards progressive ends.  It seems that Juan had already sensed
that historical thinking, progress,  reason, and the concept of science
were at the center of his debate with Steve.

 I found Juan's understanding of science most enabling and exceptionally
profound: "scientific cognition as the concrete form of regulating our
action towards superceding our society into a consciously, that is freely,
organized one."

I shall have to think about all this much more before I post a substantive
comment. But it is very late. I couldn't  resist underlining Juan's
conception of scientific cognition or mentioning  Furedi's work, which has
changed my thinking about historical subjectivity, History as Tradition and
a source of identity, and historicism.
d jones