list info--marxism. please READ

Jonathan P. Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Fri Sep 23 13:45:27 MDT 1994

The list has been down for a while (I'm not sure how long).  If you have
tried to send a message which didn't go through, please re-send it.  If
ever you fail to post a message to the list, don't hesitate to contact
one of the moderators--we only know that the list is down if we know that
messages are failing; otherwise we usually assume it's just quiet.

As the response to the idea of a group reading has been less than
over-whelming, that remains on hold for the moment.

I have been taking advantage of the relative lack of marxism list
activity to clear up and update the list's "info" packet,
and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for further changes, either
substantive (re. the purpose of the list) or in terms of presentation and
clarity.  The text follows.   Please send suggestions to me via private
email.

If you deleted it the first time you
subscribed to the list, I suggest you save it now.

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray
Literature Program
Duke University
jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu

Welcome to MARXISM.  Please read and save the following message.  It is in
several parts: current activity, general, administration possibilities,
purpose of the list, and list 'etiquette.'

**current activity (September 23rd):

The Labour Theory of Value debate continues!

It seem the plan to conduct a reading in the near future has been
shelved, at least temporarily.

Any suggestions for the list will be welcomed.  Jump in with what interests
you, and please introduce yourself.**

The list does not currently have a digest function (though we are working on
it), but it does now have an archive; please email jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu for
further details.

MARXISM is an electronic forum for discussion and experimentation rooted
in both the work of Karl Marx and, more generally, the tradition(s) that
work has inspired since.  MARXISM is an open list - all interested parties
are invited and encouraged to participate.

The mailing address of the list is marxism at world.std.com.  Use this
address to post messages, initiate or continue discussion etc.

The administrative address is majordomo at world.std.com.  Use this address
for all administrative functions.  If you have any questions, don't
hesitate to ask one of the moderators.

software does not recognize or are already subscribed at another address,
in which case the request will be forwarded to the list-owner for
approval, which may take a few days.

To unsubscribe,
send the message: unsubscribe marxism
to: majordomo at world.std.com

Unsubscriptions are also automatic unless you send your request from a
different e-mail address from the one at which you are subscribed.  Those
requests will also go to the list-owner for approval.

To get a list of the MARXISM members,
send the message: who marxism
to majordomo at world.std.com

Purpose of the list:

The MARXISM list has been conceived as a place to explore the field of
textual and political production generated by the work of Karl Marx (and
Friedrich Engels).

Clearly, this field encompasses a diversity of differing traditions and
figures, from Lenin and Luxemburg to Williams and West; the complete A to Z
from Althusser to Zizek, one might say.  It is not the intention of the
moderators of this list that any particular tradition or orthodoxy should
receive more attention or more "allegiance" on this list than any other.
Indeed, the moderators see little particular benefit in calling themselves
"Marxists" and scarcely require participants in the list's discussion
necessarily to identify themselves as "Marxists" either.

Rather, the list should be a forum for open engagement and enquiry with all
aspects of these Marxist traditions--and we hope that this will be an
interdisciplinary engagement, bringing together historians, economists,
sociologists, artists, literary critics, philosophers and so on.
Furthermore, while it is anticipated that the list will be primarily
"academic" in nature, this is by no means meant to devalue or prevent
contributions from activists or others outside the formal educational
system.

List discussion may range from exegetical discussion of particular texts
to creative appropriations of the texts across a variety of disciplines.
One purpose of the list is to conduct "group readings" of particular
works or passages from Marx and/or others in the Marxist tradition.  At
times, the list may seem quite focused on such readings, but they tend
to disseminate in a wide variety of interesting and unpredictable ways.
Also, MARXISM is always open for comments, inquiries and texts on any
subject related to Marx and/or Marxism.  Those engaged in research will
find the list members a valuable source of feedback and bibliographical
suggestions.

--------------------------------
list "etiquette":

MARXISM is an "unmoderated" list in the sense that all posts to marxism@
world.std.com are forwarded to the whole list without being reviewed or
approved by anyone.  MARXISM is also something of an electronic
community, which is self-governing and self-policing.  Ordinary respect
and courtesy towards other list members is expected, and flame wars are,
of course, discouraged.  Recognizing, however, that disputation is the norm
in politics, threads will not be interupted simply because the tone grows
heated, as it sometimes does.  Yet openness and toleration of difference are
to be valued above dogmatism (of whatever stripe).

Each list member is asked to help make the list work by being an active
participant--posting when you have something to contribute and letting
the rest of the list know when something happens on the list that concerns
you and that you would like the rest of the list to consider.

MARXISM is brought to you by the Spoon Collective, a group of Net
citizens devoted to free and open discussion of philosophical issues on
the Internet.  Based on the Collective's philosophy, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT
POSTS CONTAINING LANGUAGE OR DEALING WITH SUBJECT MATTER THAT SOME MIGHT
FIND OFFENSIVE MAY APPEAR ON THE LIST FROM TIME TO TIME, AND SUCH POSTS
WILL NOT BE CENSORED. For that reason, if you are not interested in
receiving such posts, please do not subscribe.  If you are already
subscribed, please unsubscribe.

Please address any questions, comments, or concerns that are not
appropriate for the list as a whole to any or all of the list
moderators:
Flannon Jackson (fjackson at diana.cair.du.edu),
Jon Beasley-Murray (jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu)
or Seamus Malone (ReDionysus at aol.com).