Introduction

Spoon spoon at world.std.com
Fri Sep 23 15:51:00 MDT 1994

>From TRAVIS at KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU  Thu Sep 22 20:33:27 1994
 23 Sep 1994 01:33:27 -0500 (CDT)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 01:33:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: TRAVIS at KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU
Subject: Introduction and request for any possible help

I am new to this group, hell, it is my first internet group. I was
asked to give a brief introduction. My name is Mark, and I am a grad
student at the university of Kansas. I used to be an english grad student,
but found the politics and operations of the department here tiresome, escept
for the work of Philip Barnard and Cheryl Lester. I took a year off and
waited tables and generally screwed around. Now I am back inschool
taking a course from Barry Shank in Cultural THeory and one with
Bob Antonio in Sociology of the Economy. I am currently working on a
paper which examines the exportation of literature after WWII. I am
contending that the rise in the mass distribution of paperbacks, the
cultural politics of the new critics, and a concerted effort by the
US government to gain cultural preeminence combined to help not just
to keep Western Europe out of the hands of the Russians, but to establish
and sustain new markets.

If anyone has any information on anything remotely related to this topic,
I would sincerely appreciate it. I am just beginning  the prelim. research
and having a tough time tracking down the necessary gov. documents--policies--
that I need. I think maybe I was a student of English too long, so all of the
governement-related business either firghtens me or fsufficiently freaks
me out. I am also looking for a solid American studies program where I
can extend this paper to include other aspects of culture--especially
film into this cold war context--focusing mainly from the end of the war to
the election of Ike. I would love anything relatedto this time period. Or
any suggestions anyone may have. Sorry to take up so much space. I look forward
to participating in this group. Thanks for your time,
Mark
ps Travis is for travis fryman, thrid baseman for the Detroit Tigers,
and Travis Bickle.