Marxist Economics? /Lukacs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 24 13:03:52 MDT 1994

On Sat, 24 Sep 1994, Philip Goldstein wrote:

> 	I too find the economic analyses boring and systematically delete
> them. Economists must find them interesting but literary critics may not.
> I would not conclude that literary or cultural types are, as a result,
> lazy or blind to class differences. The kinds and forms of class
> differences are matters of dispute among cultural theorists.

I thought this kind of distinction between the economic and everything
else was just the kind of thing that Marxists criticized rather than
endorsed. How can you read class in literature and not be interested in
where those class relations come from? Conversely, how can you be
interested in one's social relations to the means of production without
being interested in their depiction and possible transcendence in art?

Is there some analogue to the term vulgar Marxist that might apply?

Doug

Doug Henwood [dhenwood at panix.com]
Left Business Observer
212-874-4020 (voice)