Keen's thesis and ftp space

Jonathan P. Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Wed Sep 28 12:36:49 MDT 1994

I should remind Fred and others interested that Spoon (the collective that
administrates the marxism list, among others) has Steve Keen's thesis
ftp-able from its archive at world.std.com.  Below I will print
instructions on how to access it.

By the way, this ftp space is envisioned as enabling temporary storage of
texts (otherwise hard to locate) that would be of interest for those on
the list.  If anyone has any ideas of such texts (or any papers etc. of
their own) that could be stored by spoon, please send those suggestions
to me.

------------------------
To connect to World, say

    ftp  ftp.std.com

You will get some reply, and then be asked for your login ID.

    anonymous

You will be asked for a password, to which you should reply with
your complete e-mail address (I think they just want that for
bookkeeping purposes, and my guess is that it's optional).

You will get a lengthy "welcome" message followed by the ftp prompt,
which is "ftp>".  Say

    cd /ftp/pub/spoon/marxism

and then when it prompts you again, say

    ls -l

This will give you a list of all the files and their sizes.  Just at the
moment, I've forgotten the filename for Steve's thesis--but it will tell
you.  There is a compressed and an uncompressed version (the compressed
version with a little "z" at the end).

Then say

    bin

to change to binary transfer mode (which is faster for all files
and necessary for compressed files).  Then for each file you
want to transfer, say

    get file-name

which will transfer the file to your machine.  This operation
may take a while, so be patient.

After each transfer is completed, you will get prompted again.
When you've gotten all the file you want, say

    quit

and you'll be out of ftp.

Sometimes connection is refused because the remote machine is too
busy.  If this happens, try again at some other time.

Please report any problems to me

Take care

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray