T. Smith: Hegelian moment

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Apr 5 07:10:03 MDT 1995

On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Hans Despain wrote:

...I urge others, (Press and Proyect) not to so
quickly dismiss Smith, Bhaskar, or Postone as high-brow theory but
consider theory a commitment to the integrity of Marxian philosophy,
epistemology, ehtics, emancipation and self-deternmination.  This in
my humble opinion should be the thrust of the Left and not toward a
"progessive" historical class struggle and purpose of history itself,
I believe the latter to be mistaken and misplaced.

Louis Proyect:

Marx needs no "correction" from Smith, Bhaskar, Postone et al. Marx's
message was not directed toward an academic milieu, but toward the
disenfranchised and exploited. I have a masters degree in Philosophy and
can't make heads nor tails out of your exegesis on Smith, so what
relevance could it possibly have to the thousands of students, hospital
workers and other working-class people who marched yesterday against
Governor Pataki's draconian cuts.