Racism

lisa rogers lisa.rogers at m.cc.utah.edu
Thu Apr 6 20:02:28 MDT 1995

I think of racism, in part, as a segmentation of the
working class which results from workers competing for jobs.  "Every
non-white and every woman is taking a job from a white man."  I've heard
people say that out loud about women, and I think the same logic applies
to race.

Perhaps the result is sometimes even greater competition, because the
more excluded some are, the lower their wages, the more incentive there
is for an owner to hire them after all.  But mainly for the crap jobs and
low wages that the tenured white male workers don't want, so they won't
give the owner much grief about it.

Have I got that right?

Lisa