seminars and bars

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 7 11:49:00 MDT 1995

Louis Proyect:

This is an interesting observation. What I had told Jon a while back is that
the discussion on this list reminds me of the claques of old workers who
used to congregate in Union Square on the weekends and have heated
arguments defending the politics of the CP, anarchism, labor zionism,
etc. Those days are long gone, but perhaps the internet opens up the
possibility of creating a "virtual" Union Square. There's a book called
"The Great Good Place" which commemorates and mourns the disappearing
public space in the US, places like general stores, bars, parks, etc. in
which civil society could congregate and have social exchanges. Perhaps
the internet will fill that void.