Independent politics summit meeting

Tom Condit tomcondit at igc.apc.org
Mon Apr 10 19:06:30 MDT 1995

Preliminary Announcement

NATIONAL INDEPENDENT POLITICS SUMMIT MEETING
FRIDAY-SUNDAY, AUGUST 18-20, 1995
PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA

Sponsored by National Peoples' Progressive Network (NPPN) and the
National Committee for Independent Political Action (NCIPA)

This is the date and place we have decided upon following a fair
amount of input.  This date happens to be the third anniversary
of the 1992 People's Progressive Convention in Ypsilanti,
Michigan.

We've been getting a positive response to this initiative from a
number of people and groups.  At this early point in time it
looks like it could be an important meeting, and we hope you are
interested in attending.  In the face of all the negative
developments in Washington, D.C. and elsewhere, we sense that a
lot of us feel the need to come together for some serious
dialogue about what is happening and how we can best have a
positive political impact as soon as possible.

We're currently fine-tuning a draft of an agenda and developing a
call to the meeting; we hope to get them out by the end of the
month.  The agenda is being structured to allow for a mix of
plenary sessions and small group discussions around topics such
as "Progressive Politics 1996: Threats and Opportunities,"
"Forging a Collective Independent Strategy for 1996 and Beyond,"
"Linking Independent Electoral Campaigns and Organizing Around
Issues," "Lessons Learned in Building State and Local Independent
Parties," and "Building an Independent Politics Communications
Network."

We would welcome any input you might have on the agenda, or any
other aspect of the meeting.

If your organization is interested in endorsing this effort and
helping in some way, we would love to hear from you.

In the meantime, we urge you to put the dates AUGUST 18-20TH on
your calendar, and we hope to hear from you soon.

For the NPPN and NCIPA leadership,

Ted Glick
Sandra Rivers

for information contact: