DIALECTICS VS ANAL-MARXISM (SAYERS VS COHEN) -Reply

Lisa Rogers EQDOMAIN.EQWQ.LROGERS at email.state.ut.us
Tue Apr 11 15:56:14 MDT 1995

Good point, Darrel, keep it coming.
Lisa Rogers

>>> DARREL MOELLENDORF <dmoellendor at csupomona.edu>  4/11/95, 02:41pm

Ralph surmises:

 I imagine there
 >is more than one type of person involved in analytical philosophy,
 >but overall it seems very narrow and that is no accident.  It is
 >structural.

I don't mean to make a cute analytic distinction, but it seems to me
the use of the tern "narrow" here is ambiguous.  In the context he
could mean either focused on specialized set of problems or he could
mean unwilling even to consider the social context in which they do
their work.  What's important, and what I think Ralph's critique of
anlytical Marxism and analytical philosophy generally confuses, is
that the first meaning doesn't entail the second.  One could be
focused on specialized problems with in the dicsipline and still have
a radical critique of capitalism.  I know of more than one philospher
of mind and logician who are also Marxists.

---
Darrel Moellendorf
Philosophy Dept.
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Email: dmoellendor at csupomona.edu
Phone: (909) 869-4754 fax: (909) 869-4434