Human nature

lisa rogers lisa.rogers at m.cc.utah.edu
Tue Apr 11 19:51:18 MDT 1995

I agree with Justin's remark below.  However, I don't recommend analogies
between living and non-living systems, they are fundamentally different.

The "nature" (I'd say behavior) of humans not only appears to be
different in different circumstances, but it actively tracks the
circumstances (it is "adaptive").  If the circumstances change, it may be
worthwhile (in one's individual evolutionary interests) to change behavior.

People (and other social mammals) are likely to be selfish whenever they
have something to gain by it.

Of course, one's social environment and needs are huge factors in this
algebra.  And competition is pervasive (not just for jobs or money).

Lisa Rogers

(.... )