Making posts readable

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 14 11:07:01 MDT 1995

I agree with everybody who has called upon participants in this list to
get out of the habit of interweaving comments into the fully quoted post
they are replying to. Justin Schwartz, whose political and philosophical
views differ sharply from my own, usually writes erudite and lucid posts
that I enjoy reading immensely. BUT when he uses the
comment-after-every-paragraph approach, I just hit the delete key immediately.

Also, in general, I think efforts should be made to avoid hasty and
poorly-written messages even when they contain pearls of wisdom. Last night
Gay Talese was telling Dan Rather on CBS's 48 Hours why he still uses a
manual typewriter: it slows him down and forces him to think more
deliberately; and, when he corrects his typing mistakes, he finds
that he often refines the content as well.

Now I don't want to go back to the typewriter myself. I really believe in
this technology. But I think something of the same spirit that Talese
expresses can be invested in this high-speed electronic medium.

Louis Proyect