Negri's Savage Anomaly

Michael Hardt hardt at acpub.duke.edu
Sat Apr 15 09:47:53 MDT 1995

> On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Ralph Dumain wrote:
>
> > This reminds me, I read Negri's book on Spinoza, THE SAVAGE
> > ANOMALY.  I was very interested in the subject matter, but I
> > couldn't understand a word of it.  Is it the translators or the
> > authors?  I'm fed up with European snobs who refuse to write
> > clearly.  Somebody explain this book to me.

As translator of the book I feel compelled to say something here, but I
don't know how to respond.  I did my best to translate clearly but I'm
not sure that is what is at issue.  I found the book challenging too but
profited from it very much.  There are both the Marxist and Spinozian
technical vocabularies at play here -- maybe they are posing some of the
problem.  Is that what is being asked here?

Michael Hardt