Gorachev's crimes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 15 11:17:14 MDT 1995

I don't often find myself defending the CPUSA, but isn't Philip Goldstein's
remark that the party though "the problems of the African-American were of
secondary importance" nearly libelous? I thought the CP fought for civil
rights at a time, the 1930s, when virtually no one else did. Or is this a
myth? I thought too that many non-Marixst American socalists were
interested only in the white working class. The CP has done some awful
things over the years - their appropriation of "Americanism" and tailing
behind the Dems as well as their idiotic apologies for Stalinism followed
by their pathetic tailing of Gorby - but it doesn't seem fair to hit them
with this one.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood