Stalin, Mao and Polemics

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Mon Apr 17 20:00:32 MDT 1995

I'm new to this group but I can't resist commenting on something
I read today.  Someone (whose name I lost) said that "Mao was not
better than Stalin; he was worse."  While I have never been a Maoist
and while I agree that Mao could be accurately described as Stalinism,
the idea that Mao was WORSE than Stalin is ABSURD.  On what basis
can someone make such a claim?  I'd really like to know.

The tone of the contribution in question makes me feel a little
uneasy.  I believe that the Left needs far less polemics and
exaggeration and more of an attempt to honestly come to terms with
the realities and contradictions of class societies.