Stalin, Mao and Polemics

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Mon Apr 17 20:18:22 MDT 1995

I'm new to this group but I can't resist responding briefly to Ralph
Dumain.  While I have never been a Maoist and while I believe that
Mao could indeed be described as Stalinist, the idea that "Mao was
not better than Stalin; he was worse" is absurd.  Mr. Dumain should
explain the meaning of that comment.

Does it do any of us any good to exaggerate to make a point?
Admittedly, there is a very long tradition of that kind of polemics
on the Left, but I think that a more reasoned and objective attempt
to understand the contradictions and realities of class societies
would be to our benefit.