Stalin, Mao and Polemics

Scott Marshall Scott at rednet.org
Tue Apr 18 05:46:15 MDT 1995

>About Stalin, Mao, Fanon, Che, Sankara, Bose:
>
>"Instead of finding their orientation in the actual social conditions and
>their possibilities, the new leftists base their concerns mainly on a set
>of ideologies that have no relevance to the requirements of social change
>in capitalist nations. They find their inspiration not in the developmental
>processes of their own society but in the heroes of popular revolution in
>faraway countries, thereby revealing that their enthusiasm is not as yet a
>real concern for decisive social change."
>
>>From the introduction to Paul Mattick's Anti-Bolshevik Communism (Armonk:
>Sharpe, 1977)

I heartily second this and would add to "They find inspiration not in the
developmental processes of their own society" - Nor in the working class and
oppressed people's struggles in their own countries, but are often even
scornful and distainful of those struggles using romantic yardsticks of the
class and people's struggles in other times and places as their guide. Nor
are they particularly engaged with the decisive social forces for change in
their own situations.

Scott