VARIOUS MATTERS, EG. IDENTITY POLITICS

Santiago.Colas at um.cc.umich.edu Santiago.Colas at um.cc.umich.edu
Tue Apr 18 08:11:46 MDT 1995

While I share your visceral revulsion for the varieties of spirituality
you enumerated, I would be wary of counterposing "the pyshical" (that
should be "physical") thing/experience of listening to Coltrane, etc...
as a better kindo of spirituality simply on the grounds of its being
a physical (material) experience.  Read Teresa of Avila.  There's
a physical spirituality too, same with Augustine, John of the Cross
and many others.  Materiality can be fakery too.  Or rather, fakery
(to just leave that term intact for the moment) can get under
your skin as well.  If so, then what is it that makes the spiritual
experience of listening to Coltrane, etc. not fake?
Santiago