"loons in RCP"

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Apr 19 13:47:29 MDT 1995

The attitudes manifested below exempify the sort of thing that makes
people like me refer to the people in (and around) the RCP as loons. I
have a couple of friends in the RCP, one of whom apologizes for all the
embarassing stuff (but stays in) and the other of whom isn't the least
embarassed to support, e.g., the psychopathic hoodlums in the Sendero
Luminiso. (Why is he a friends, you ask. Well, it's a long story.) ANyway,
I respect the dedication of many RCPers I know, but wish it was put to
better use. The Revilution Books chain od stores is a valuable resource
and there are some excellent reporters who write for Revolutionary Worker,
the RCP newspaper, which I see from time to time. One of them, Larry
Everest, did a bang up goos job, with very little of the usual RCP ranting
and rraving, about Bhophal. Still, loons are loons, even if they are
dedicated and not wholly destructive.

Matt is right that the Maoist Progressive Labor Party, which was a pretty
big deal in the 1960s, still exist in a shrunken form, as well as  m,aybe
a few other self-styled Maoist grouplets. There may be a thousand
organized Maoists in the US. I'm not sneering at the numbers--my ouwn
outfit, Solidarity, is only about  350 strong (or weak).

Matt's ill-informed sneers at and slurs upon CISPES and other solidarity
groups de not deserve comment.

--Justin Schwartz