Hell in a handbasket left

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Fri Apr 21 18:45:56 MDT 1995

Odd that Scott's irritation at my appraisal of the state of the left
should be prompted by my post--since I, after all, am the person on this
list who has defended the idea that history has a progressive direction
against all comers. Still, reversions and regressions are possible, and we
may be in one. Though I hope that Scott is right and I am wrong about
that. Still, I don't see the evidence that he is. As to being a
middle-class radical intellectual, I plead guilty. But I don't flagellate
myself about it. After all, so was the Old Man.

--Justin Schwartz