volume of this list--PLEASE READ

Jon Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Tue Apr 25 12:22:47 MDT 1995

So far this month (which is not, of course, over) there have been c. 575
messages sent to this marxism l*st--a rate of around twenty a day!  I
think this is a significant increase in messages compared to last month
and, I think, to just about every other month previous.

While in many ways this demonstrates the liveliness of discussion and
collective interest in the issues, and it is a great thing to see the
list thriving, it is also a *lot* of traffic.  I know I can't keep up
with all of it, and I suspect it might put many off the list.

For those who are struggling, I'd remind them that there is a digest
option for the list, which may help ("su**cribe marxism-digest" to
majordomo at lists.village.virginia.edu; "uns**scribe marxism" at the same
time).  The digest comes periodically (with every 40k of posts to the
main list) and has an index at the top, so one can see what topics have
recently been addressed.  Of course, this also means that all posters
should make sure that their subject line corresponds to the actual
content of their posts.

Otherwise, I hope that those who post can be aware that this might be a
potential problem, and that (say) those who post multiply might consider
how many times a day they send a message to the list.

If anyone has any other suggestions concerning this problem, please get
in touch with me (*privately*!)

Take care

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray