MARX'S 'EARLY WORKS' QUERY

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Thu Apr 27 08:57:45 MDT 1995

Query: I am trying to decide whether to buy the Penguin edition of
EARLY WORKS by Karl Marx, introduced by Lucio Colletti.  The one
piece in there that interests me is the complete (I think) text of
'Critique of Hegel's Doctrine of the State'.  If this is the
pivotal unpublished 1843 manuscript I have heard about under the
name 'Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right'. then I definitely
need this book, because I know of no other English translation of
the whole thing in print.  (Note: I am NOT talking about the
'Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right -- Introduction" which
was published by Marx in his newspaper and is often anthologized.)
The introductory note for this piece (I saw it in a bookstore)
mentions a couple of previous attempts at translation, of which I
recall the one by Joseph O'Malley published circa 1970, which I
can't find in used book stores.  So if the Penguin essay is (a)
the same thing) (b) the complete and most up-to-date translation,
then I need this book.  Along with Marx's essay on the Jewish
question, this is the most important manuscript by Marx up to the
1844 Paris Manuscripts and the key critique of Hegel.  Anyone
knowledgeable in this area?