MARX'S 'EARLY WORKS' QUERY

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Thu Apr 27 10:27:10 MDT 1995

Look up the Marx-Engels Collected Works, vol. 3. (The MECW has complete
translations of everything except Capital and some of Engels' letters.)

There's a short piece called Contribution to a Critique of Hegel's
Philosophy of law and a longer one, a commentary on Hegel's PhR
261-313--which do you mean? The latter is best translated by O'Malley in
the only proper critical edition of _any_ of Marx's works in English,
unless you count Draper's translation od the Manifesto (The Adventures of
the CM).  The O'Malley volume, well worth looking up, is called Karl Marx,
Critique of Hegel's 'Philosophy of Right.' O'Malley also has a recent
collection of his own translations of Marx's Early Writings for the
Cambridge series in Political Theory, but I don'y know what's in it. He's
quite trustworthy, though.

Sidney Hook's From Hegel to Marx (Ann Arbor) has some good discussion of
these early writings.

--Justin Schwartz