globalizatio of capital

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Apr 27 20:50:05 MDT 1995

Thanks Paul

for the suggested financial reforms. I agree they look
serious candidates for shifting the balance of class forces and bringing
the capitalist system under some degree of democratic control.

They appear to be presented as suggestions for a radical government of a
state. I accept that all capitalist markets are in fact regulated but I
wonder a) how easy they would be to enforce b) whether they would go with
or buck against the dynamics of the capitalist economic cycle. I hope a
Keynsian of post-K may come in.

The measure I find most attractive from your list for campaigning now at
a *global* level would be the tax on all foreign exchange transactions. The
political opening is now there to get a foot in the door. All class
forces are now alarmed at the potential turbulence of the markets and
might consider very favourably a damping down mechanism. Mitterand has
brought it into the political realm at Copenhagen.

But instead of starting at 2%, in order to get the principle established
I propose it should be 0.01%. What transnational could reasonably object
to that?

On 3 trillion dollars a day of global financial transactions it would bring
in $6 billion a day, and could go into a fund for worthy causes. (Rwanda,
Chernobyl?) Perhaps the UN General Assembly could be given the interesting
political task of advising where it went. Who knows where this process
may develop.

How could a feasability study be started?

Chris Burford