MARX'S 'EARLY WORKS' QUERY

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Thu Apr 27 23:22:48 MDT 1995

>There's a short piece called Contribution to a Critique of
>Hegel's Philosophy of law and a longer one, a commentary on
>Hegel's PhR 261-313--which do you mean?

I'm quite sure I mean the latter: it should be more than 100
pages.  What is the short one?   Is the last word in the title
"Introduction"?  (I am used to seeing the word "Right" instead of
"Law" so either I am confusing different texts or differnt
translations use different words.)  If so, this is the one
published by Marx in his newspaper and anthologized everywhere.

>The latter is best translated by O'Malley in the only proper
>critical edition of _any_ of Marx's works in English,

What do you mean?  In what proper critical edition?

>The O'Malley volume, well worth looking up, is called Karl Marx,
>Critique of Hegel's 'Philosophy of Right.'

Yes, this is the one I could not find in used book stores.  Note
the word "Right" is used instead of "Law".  So the question is: is
this the same work (different translation) that appears in the
Penguin EARLY WORKS?  If it is, can the Penguin version now be
considered the definitive translation?

Anyway, now you know what I am looking for.  This is Marx's key
critique of Hegel and it should not be so damn hard to get in
print.

>O'Malley also has a recent collection of his own translations of
>Marx's Early Writings

In paperback?  How much?  I guess I can look this up myself.