globalization/fictitious K

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Apr 28 07:12:42 MDT 1995

Steve Wright wrote

 > Chris, the point I had been trying to make in conversation with Rakesh
 > was precisely that the E-L-A-S-T-I-C-I-T-Y of value relations - which has
 > been been stretched today to a degree never before seen - *shouldn't* be
 > confused with their obsolecense. I await with a certain malicious glee
 > the moment when the rubber band snaps back - or to use Marx's metaphor,
 > the moment when the law of gravity asserts itself.

I am very glad we seem to be in contact about this. I particularly liked
your reference also to the metaphor of gravity, which I was turning over
in my mind after my response about rubber bands.

Rubber bands and gravity are two not so strange attractors. In fact very
familiar.

>From my point
of view I am saying that if the law of value is interpreted as inevitably
manifesting itself in a non-linear way we would expect elasticity and
variation *as well as* a tendency to revert to some underlying more
frequent pattern.  Much of the grief of trying to study Marx in a
mechanical linear way, would dissolve.

Chris Burford.