MARX'S 'EARLY WORKS' QUERY

Santiago Colas scolas at umich.edu
Fri Apr 28 07:03:19 MDT 1995

It is clear, Ralph, that you do in fact want the longer text, which is a
manuscript, of over a one hundred pages in any edition I've seen, with
the title "Critique of Hegel's Doctrine of the State."  As has been
mentioned this is a close reading/critique of a portion of Hegel's
Philosophie der Recht (trans. in different English editions as both Right
and Law), which portion carries the title "The State" or
something like that.  For your information, the translator of Marx's
manuscript in the Penguin edition is Tom Nairn.  Now, Nairn, in a very
brief translator's preface, makes reference to two other "existing
versions":  in his words, "the partial one by Lloyd D. Easton and Kurt H.
Guddat (Anchor Books, New York, 1967) and the more recent complete
translation by Annette Jolin and Joseph O'Malley (C.U.P., 1970).

Santiago
Santiago Colas					e-mail:	scolas at umich.edu
Asst. Professor					phone:	(313) 763-4352
Latin American and Comparative Literature	fax:	(313) 764-8163
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1275
USA