MARX'S 'EARLY WORKS' QUERY

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Fri Apr 28 07:54:22 MDT 1995

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Ralph Dumain wrote:

> >There's a short piece called Contribution to a Critique of
> >Hegel's Philosophy of law and a longer one, a commentary on
> >Hegel's PhR 261-313--which do you mean?
>
> I'm quite sure I mean the latter: it should be more than 100
> pages.  What is the short one?   Is the last word in the title
> "Introduction"?  (I am used to seeing the word "Right" instead of
> "Law" so either I am confusing different texts or differnt
> translations use different words.)  If so, this is the one
> published by Marx in his newspaper and anthologized everywhere.

No--The Contrib to the Critique is different from the Contrib...:Introduction.

> >The latter is best translated by O'Malley in the only proper
> >critical edition of _any_ of Marx's works in English,
>
> What do you mean?  In what proper critical edition?

Detailed scholarly commentray, notes, and apparatus. Look at any of the
Ocford series of the works of Aristole or Plato to see what a critical
edition looks like.

> >The O'Malley volume, well worth looking up, is called Karl Marx,
> >Critique of Hegel's 'Philosophy of Right.'
>
> Yes, this is the one I could not find in used book stores.  Note
> the word "Right" is used instead of "Law".  So the question is: is
> this the same work (different translation) that appears in the
> Penguin EARLY WORKS?  If it is, can the Penguin version now be
> considered the definitive translation?

No, O'Malley is the definitive edn.

> Anyway, now you know what I am looking for.  This is Marx's key
> critique of Hegel and it should not be so damn hard to get in
> print.
>
> >O'Malley also has a recent collection of his own translations of
> >Marx's Early Writings
>
> In paperback?  How much?  I guess I can look this up myself.

Yes. Cheap.

--Justin Schwartz